Sausages are a traditional food prepared by peasants from the ancient times by using the meat of slaughtered animals. The most commonly used sausage meat is pork and sometimes it is combined with beef, lamb, chicken or veal. Usually, inexpensive parts of the meat are used for making sausages and the better meat is used in main dishes. When you are making homemade sausages you need all the essential ingredients like meat, liquid, fat, seasoning and the right instruments for making the sausage the easy way.
Select Your Ingredients
For meat, you can use shoulder, hams and butts, rib and loin of pork or chuck shoulders or rumps of beef and veal. You can also use scraps from the carcasses of wild game or trimmings from chicken as the meat source for sausages. A liquid such as wine, fruit juices, cream or water can be used as the binder. Get the needed quantity of fat from the local butcher shop or from the grocery store so that you can maintain the ratio of meat and fat at 80% and 20% respectively. The most commonly used preservative is salt. You can also add maple syrup, wine, herbs like thyme and coriander or vegetables to give extra flavors to your homemade sausage.
Preparing the Meat Mix
When you are trying to make homemade sausage you have to start with fresh cold meat. So, it is important that you keep your meat and the fat in the freezer till they are close to freezing conditions. This will help the meat and fat to grind and mix better. When you feel that the meat is getting warm during the process of making sausage, you can put it back in the freezer. You can prepare the meat by grinding it in a good quality meat grinder. Your grinder should have sharp blades and should not have dull or worn out blades. This will help to retain the cell structure of the meat and this in turn will help to hold the fat and juices in the sausage giving it a rich flavor. Once the meat is ready, add the spices mixed with the liquid to the meat and mix together to get even distribution of flavors throughout the meat mix. (some guide from this site)
Step By Step Process To Make Sausage
- Keep your casings ready- Make your casings to fill the sausage ready by rinsing them in water to remove any excess salts. If you are using the casings packed in brine, you can use them directly.
- Keep additional ingredients ready- Some people like to add additional ingredients such as garlic, apple etc. to the sausage mix. Finely chop the ingredients and some cooked ingredients should be cooled before mixing it with the meat.
- Mix the ingredients- Add any additional ingredients to the meat and mix well by using hand. Keep a small ball of sausage to test the taste and put the remaining meat into the freezer. Cook the small meat ball on medium heat in a frying pan and test the taste. If need adjustment, the seasoning added to the meat mix.
- Stuff sausage in casing- Using the sausage stuffer, gently fill the casing with the meat mixture. Try to avoid the formation of air pockets. When the length of the link reaches the desired size, tie a knot. Once the casing gets completely filled, remove any air pockets by pricking them with a pin. This will prevent bulging of the casing while cooking.
- Allow the sausages to dry- The sausages need to be dried for about 30 minutes by hanging them on a wooden rack or a clothes drying rack.
- Refrigerate the sausages- After allowing the sausages to dry for half an hour, you can refrigerate the sausages. You need to refrigerate these sausages at least for 1 hour before you cook them. This will help the flavors in the sausage mingle with the meat thoroughly. If needed, these sausages can be refrigerated for six months before using them to prepare the recipes.
How To Cook Homemade Sausage?
You need to cook the sausages in mild heat when you are grilling it. When you cook the sausages very fast on the high heat, they tend to explode out from the casing. You can also cook sausage by poaching technique.
Check out this video, it is from Youtube:
However eat sausages can cause fat, read more about healthy food.